Wind & Percussion Audition Excerpts
Participation Eligibility Requirements
For a student to be eligible to audition for the SCKMEA Festival Band and Orchestra Winds/Percussion membership:
Music Requirements for the Live Audition:
- The student's director must submit an online audition form and a printed form with payment to the
SCKMEA Executive Director for each student auditioning. This form must be submitted by the
AUDITION FORM DEADLINE established by SCKMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing
in their high school. The student must be enrolled in the instrumental ensemble at their high school
to be eligible to audition for the SCKMEA Honor Bands/Orchestra at the time of auditions
and the performance.
- A full range chromatic scale slurred up and tongued down. Quarter Note MM= 120.
Memorization is not required.
- One major scale, one octave, with up to 4 sharps or 4 flats. Quarter Note MM= 120.
Memorization is not required. Slurred up and tongued down. All scales will start on the lowest
possible starting note in the practical range. Each scale is non-transposed (i.e., if a trumpet player
is asked to perform a C scale, they will be expected to perform a C scale on their instrument, not a
C concert scale.) The major scale for each instrument will be posted by the band chairpersons on
the morning of live auditions.
- Sections of the required etudes/solos listed below.
- Sight reading