On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at Southeast High School in Wichita, we will be hosting the SCKMEA Elementary Honor Choir with Jason Sickel as the choir clinician.
Your students will love Jason's energy as they work toward a great performance of some wonderful pieces!
Also, it is time to get your drumming on during the teacher workshop this year!
Ashley Reichenborn will be presenting: African-based Drumming and Rhythmic
Activities for Any Music Classroom. African music is at the heart of American
music and resonates with most all young people. Whether there are tubanos
at your school or not, this workshop will give you the content and technique to
take on rhythmic ensemble work in your classroom. Learn teaching strategies
that encourage respect for instruments, musicians, cultural context, and
musical parts within an ensemble. Join us in creating a healthy rhythmic and
drumming culture within your classroom.
You may send up to six students from your school to participate and work with
an excellent choir clinician. The deadline for registering students is
September 18, 2018. Teachers will need to pick up their school packets with
name tags at 8:00am. Rehearsals will begin at 8:15 AM and the concert will
be at 12:00 PM.
I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, October 27 for a great day of music
SCKMEA Elementary Choir Chair
Music Teacher, Cessna Elementary School
SCKMEA Elementary Honor Choir Information
- Honor Choir participation is open to fourth, fifth, and sixth grade students.
- Participating schools should send three students prepared to sing Part I and three students prepared to sing Part II.
- Schools are limited to a total of six students only.
- Students must have the music memorized prior to October 27, 2018.
- Choir students should bring their music on October 27, 2018.
- Dress up clothing is appropriate for choir students for October 27, 2018.
Students should wear their performance clothing to the event as our schedule does not permit time for changing.
- The Honor Choir Concert will begin at 12:00 PM (noon). The concert is free and is open to parents, teachers, and friends.
- A professional recording will be made of the performance. Recordings may be ordered on October 27, 2018.
- T-shirts & plaques will be available for purchase.
Enrollment is a two-step process. You must complete both steps.
- Please enter your six students (must include three Part I singers and three Part 2 singers)
using the registration form in the KMEA Members site.
- The enrollment fee for $10.00 per student must be mailed to Larry Brownlee, SCKMEA
Executive Secretary, 308 E. Washington, Sterling, KS 67579. Please be sure to include school
district name, school name and teacher's name with the enrollment fee. Checks should be made
payable to SCKMEA.
The Honor Choir enrollment deadline is September 18, 2018.
Student entries received after that date may be accepted but cannot be guaranteed inclusion on the shirts, plaques or program.