High School Choir
SCKMEA In-Person mini-conventions are cancelled for 2020-21. Auditions and nominations for honor groups will be held online. Rosters will be published.
2020-21 SCKMEA Honor Group Waiver of Enrollment Requirement
Audition Registration & Fee Schedule
For the 2020-2021 school year only, a student may audition (or be nominated) for an SCKMEA honor ensemble
even if the student is unable to participate in their school's music program due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19.
Any student in such a situation must work with their school's music teacher(s) to complete the necessary SCKMEA forms and procedures.
By submitting a student's audition or nomination, a teacher verifies that the student is or has previously been a member of their school's music program in good standing.
2020-21 SCKMEA High School Honor Groups to use Recorded Auditions
SCKMEA will use online recorded auditions for all high school honor groups for the 2020-21 school year.
Additional information, including audition materials for each ensemble, will be further specified as chairs complete their plans.
Oct. 11 - regular deadline, $8 per audition
Oct. 25 - late #1, $33 per audition ($25 penalty)
Oct. 26 - Audition upload window will open
Oct. 28 - Anticipated release date for audition cuts from KMEA
Nov. 6 - late #2, $58 per audition ($50 penalty)
Nov. 6 - Video URL entries must be completed by this date
All choir students will remain eligible for the State Choir(s) as long as the registration deadlines and corresponding fees are met.
9th graders are eligible for selection to the KMEA All-State High School Choirs.
Official registration is located in the KMEA Members website, linked in the Registration
This is the same site used for registration last year.
All payments for fees must be made payable to SCKMEA
and sent to:
SCKMEA Executive Director
125 W. Cooper
Sterling KS, 67579
Sponsoring teachers must be a member of NAfME-KMEA for students to be considered for KMEA honor groups.
Please include a copy of the invoice from the
with your payment
and make sure that it is marked specifically as a choir payment.
Larry Brownlee, our treasurer, appreciates prompt payments.
Students may audition for only ONE festival group (band, choir, or orchestra).
Students selected to participate in one of District Choirs are required to participate in ALL the rehearsals
and the District Honor Choir Performance on December 5, 2020 to remain eligible for selection to the All-State Choirs.
Practice files will be made available on the KMEA website.
Audition Repertoire & Procedures
The All-State audition repertoire list
is on the KMEA website.
For auditions, students must use original copies for all audition pieces.
The audition process this year has changed and will be as follows
- ALL HS Choir Auditions must be submitted via video since there is no in-person audition day or performance day
- Videos must be uploaded to YouTube and the private link must be entered with each registrant in the KMEA Members Site
- Video submissions may begin as early as Monday, Oct 26 and the upload deadline is Friday, Nov 6
- The audition must be performed with the KMEA All-State Audition MP3 (which will be made available closer to the audition cut notification)
- The audition must be a fluid, non-stop recording. In order to prove this, a clock must be visible in the video behind the student for the entire audition.
- "Purchased" Copies of the audition music must be visible in the video (on the music stand, or in the hands of the singer)
- Only the auditionee should be seen or heard on the video (any other ambient or inadvertent sounds will result in a disqualification)
- If any enhancing or altering is detected the auditionee will be disqualified
- Failure to comply with all of the above audition requirements will result in a disqualification
- Please use the following Sway to help with any questions you may have - https://sway.office.com/23WBF9uTOS20sPe5?ref=Link
Audition cuts will be available the week of the November auditions.
These cuts will be posted on the SCKMEA website and emailed to all directors who have registered students to audition.
After you register your students we will send out an email with more details about the day of auditions.
DIRECTORS MUST BE AVAILABLE TO JUDGE, DIRECT or TABULATE FROM 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM THE DAY OF AUDITIONS.
If you cannot be there or are not available for the ENTIRE day, you must send a willing and able director/sponsor in your absence
or your school will be assessed a fine from SCKMEA. We need all hands on deck to make this huge event work smoothly!
If you have specific requests regarding audition times, please email them to me and I will attempt to honor all requests.
Also, if you teach both vocal and instrumental music, please let me know if you have instrumental judging duties as soon as you can.
The KMEA/SCKMEA Board do their best to avoid student conflicts when scheduling the November auditions.
However, some years conflicts are unavoidable.
SCKMEA is aware of a handful of KSHSAA Sponsored Events that will conflict with SCKMEA Auditions this year on Nov. 2.
If you have a student that still plans to audition but may have a conflict with a KSHSAA Sponsored Sporting Event that weekend,
they will be given an opportunity to audition on Wednesday evening, Nov. 4 at Andover Central High School.
A statement on school letterhead must be prepared and signed by your principal explaining the conflict and the student involved.
Please send all statements to SCKMEA HS Choir Chair Nicholas Griggs
and SCKMEA President Bryan Kirk
Selections are available at Senseney Music