High School Jazz Band
2021-22 SCKMEA High School Honor Groups to use Recorded Auditions
SCKMEA will use online recorded auditions for all high school honor groups for the 2021-22 school year.
Additional information, including audition materials for each ensemble, will be further specified as chairs complete their plans.
Please standby for further information regarding recorded audition procedure.
We have every intention of having rehearsals and performances on November 6 (HS Jazz Bands) and December 4 (HS Bands, Choirs, and Orchestra).
This is subject to changes in restrictions or guidelines by our host facilities or county health officials.
Watch for announcements about changes in locations for some of our honor ensembles.
56A - James Pisano, Wichita State University
1234A - Nickolas Schroeder, Friends University
Sep. 22 - Audition Registration Deadline (Members site) - $8 per audition
Sep. 29 - Audition Registration - Late Deadline #1 (Members site) - $33 per audition
Sep. 29 - Uploads to Festival Scores begin
Oct. 5 - Audition Registration - Late Deadline #2 (Members site) - $58 per audition
Oct. 6 - Final date to upload audition recordings. Uploads will close at 11:59:59 PM on this date. Late uploads are not possible.
Oct. 6 - Audition Registration - Late Deadline #3 - $100 per audition
Oct. 6 - Auditions @ Goddard-Eisenhower HS
Oct. 7 - Judging begins
Oct. 10 - Judging concludes
Nov. 6 - Clinics & Concerts @ Goddard-Eisenhower HS
Registration of audition entries will be a dual-entry process.
- Auditions must be officially registered in the KMEA Members site.
- Festival Scores will be used only as a replacement for in-person audition and judging activities.
Directors should watch the FS Director Tutorial
to become familiar with the Festival Scores audition system.
Use the SCKMEA Invoice Generator
to create your fee invoices.
An invoice print-out must be included with each payment. Make checks payable to South Central KMEA
SCKMEA District Jazz Performance will take place at Goddard-Eisenhower HS on Saturday November 6, 2021.
More District Jazz performance information will be posted upon completion of auditions.
Participation Eligibility Requirements
There are two requirements for a student to be eligible to audition for SCKMEA District Jazz Band membership:
- The student's director will register each audition online and send the Audition payment to the SCKMEA Executive Director.
These must be completed by the deadline established by SCKMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school.
SCKMEA Jazz Band will use the KMEA All-State Jazz audition excerpts - ksmea.org/hsjazz/excerpts
We are also making some important adjustments to the audition music to try to make it as accessible as possible and encourage students to audition.
Students need to understand that these changes will NOT carry over to state auditions.
- All wind players - Take the A Train will be played at 150 BPM, not 208.
- We WILL incorporate lead trumpet and trombone auditions. Details to come.
- Directors, you MUST assist your students in the recording process and follow the directions carefully (including the metronome count offs.)
Deviations from instructions will lead to disqualification of the student's audition.
- No sightreading will be involved this year.
- We will cut the chromatic scale from this year's audition.
Festival Scores - Audition Event Tags
Directors, you will need to activate the following Event Tags in your
Director account in order to upload audition entries.
Auditions are divided by classification.
Be sure to upload files to the proper audition event.
|Audition Event||Event Tag|
|1234A Jazz Winds
|1234A Jazz Piano, Guitar, and Bass
|1234A Jazz Drums
|56A Jazz Winds
|56A Jazz Piano, Guitar, and Bass
|56A Jazz Drums