High School Jazz Band
SCKMEA In-Person mini-conventions are cancelled for 2020-21. Auditions and nominations for honor groups will be held online. Rosters will be published.
2020-21 SCKMEA Honor Group Waiver of Enrollment Requirement
For the 2020-2021 school year only, a student may audition (or be nominated) for an SCKMEA honor ensemble
even if the student is unable to participate in their school's music program due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19.
Any student in such a situation must work with their school's music teacher(s) to complete the necessary SCKMEA forms and procedures.
By submitting a student's audition or nomination, a teacher verifies that the student is or has previously been a member of their school's music program in good standing.
2020-21 SCKMEA High School Honor Groups to use Recorded Auditions
SCKMEA will use online recorded auditions for all high school honor groups for the 2020-21 school year.
Additional information, including audition materials for each ensemble, will be further specified as chairs complete their plans.
Official registration is located in the KMEA Members website, linked in the Registration
This is the same site used for registration last year.
will be used only to replace the in-person audition and judging activities.
Audition event tags are posted at the bottom of this page.
Fees, and Deadlines
Use the KMEA Members website to register your students (members.ksmea.org
Invoices can be generated on the SCKMEA website (sckmea.org/?section=invoice
Sep. 23 - District Jazz Auditions Registration Due ($8 per student)
Sep. 30 - District Jazz Auditions Late Registration deadline #1 ($33 per student)
Oct. 16 - District Jazz Auditions Late Registration deadline #2 ($58 per student)
Oct. 16 - Audition upload deadline. Late uploads are not possible.
Participation Eligibility Requirements
There are two requirements for a student to be eligible to audition for SCKMEA District Jazz Band membership:
- The student's director will register each audition onlineand send the Audition payment to the SCKMEA Executive Director.
These must be completed by the deadline established by SCKMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school.
Music Requirements for the Live Audition
For all instruments except drumset: A New Approach to Jazz Improvisation, Volume 13, Cannonball Adderley, by Jamey Aebersold, 1211 Aebersold Drive, New Albany, IN 47150.
For drumset: Ultimate Drumset Reading Anthology, by Steve Houghton (Alfred Publications) All auditions will be performed with accompaniment play along recordings.
Optional Lead Trumpet Audition
- Chromatic scale, using quarter notes at the metronome marking of 120 beats per minute. Students are to slur up and tongue down the full range of the instrument.
- "Unit 7" - Play melody one time through.
- "Work Song" - Play the melody twice through.
- Optional Improvisation on "Work Song" - After playing the melody twice through, continue for two full improvised choruses. This effort is optional, but highly encouraged.
(in addition to above material)
Optional Bass Trombone Audition
- Play a one-octave F major scale ascending in quarter notes at quarter note equals MM 80, starting on the top line of the staff.
- Play provided lead trumpet part (Download)
(in addition to above material)
Rhythm Section Auditions
- Play a one-octave B-flat major scale, descending in quarter notes at quarter note equals MM 80, starting on second-line B-flat.
- Play provided bass trombone part (Download)
- "Unit 7" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums) of the stereo play along recording, play one chorus of right-hand melody with left-hand accompaniment, followed by one chorus of two-handed chordal accompaniment.
- "Work Song" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play two choruses of the right-handed melody with an appropriate left-hand chordal accompaniment. Optional: Continue for two more choruses of improvisation.
- "Unit 7" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play the melody for one chorus, followed by one chorus of appropriate chordal accompaniment.
- "Work Song" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play a chordal accompaniment for two choruses. Start at the beginning of the track again; this time using left and right channels; play the melody twice through. Optional: Continue for two more choruses of improvisation.
- "Unit 7" - Using only the right channel (piano & drums), play the melody for one chorus followed by an appropriate bass line for one chorus.
- "Work Song" - Using the right channel only (piano & drums), play two times through the melody then two choruses of a bass line (appropriate to accompany the melody). Optional: Continue for two choruses with an improvised solo.
Play the following with the accompaniment CD (turn the drum channel off).
- "Basie, Straight Ahead" - Play from the beginning to letter F.
- "I'll Never Smile Again" - Play from the beginning through measure 34.
- "Rio Rhythm" - Play the first 32 measures.
- "Fall Leaves" - Play the first 32 measures.
- "Voyage Home" - Play from the beginning through the first ending.
Festival Scores - Audition Event Tags
Directors, you will need to activate the following Event Tags in your
Director account in order to upload audition entries.
Auditions are divided by classification.
Be sure to upload files to the proper audition event.
|Audition Event||Event Tag|
|1234A Jazz Winds
|1234A Jazz Piano, Guitar, and Bass
|1234A Jazz Drums
|56A Jazz Winds
|56A Jazz Piano, Guitar, and Bass
|56A Jazz Drums