High School Orchestra
Welcome SCKMEA Orchestra Directors!
By clicking on the links within this letter or on the left-hand tabs, you will have access to ALL the information you need to be in the know about the
2019 South Central Kansas Music Educators Association District Honor Orchestra.
When: Saturday, November 2, 2019
Where: Goddard-Eisenhower HS
Times: 8:00 AM - all auditions have been heard
Open to: Grades 9-12 orchestra students
Alternatively, this year students that are participating in State Soccer, State Volleyball, and/or State Cross County
will be allowed to record their auditions at Andover Central High School
on Wednesday, October 30th from 6:30-9:00 PM.
Teachers must email SCKMEA President Bryan Kirk to receive the audition form, and students must bring the signed
audition form with them to record their entry. All the recorded entries will then be judged at live auditions on Saturday, November 2nd.
Students may not audition for orchestra and choir. Please make sure to communicate with your teachers for which ensemble you will audition.
||$8.00 per entry
||$25.00 per entry
||Late Entry Deadline
||$100.00 per entry
||Walk-in Entry Fee
All entries must be submitted online. Registration will be hosted inside the KMEA Members site (linked at the top of this page.
Use the SCKMEA Invoice Generator
to create your invoice print-outs.
Audition materials are available on the SCKMEA website and are an abbreviated version of the KMEA All-State Audition Materials.
SCKMEA Orchestra Audition Materials (2019)
KMEA State Orchestra Audition excerpts
Audition Time Requests
- Students will be assigned audition times prior to the audition day. Each teacher is responsible for giving these times to their students.
- Each student needs to check in with the door monitor at his or her assigned room 10 minutes prior to the assigned audition time.
- Audition numbers will be assigned at the door and must not be traded.
- Each student will audition in 2 rooms: Room 1-excerpts, Room 2-prepared scale and sight-reading.
- The door monitor will communicate students' audition number with judges. All auditions will be blind-meaning students will not talk with judges.
- The judges will wait an appropriate amount of time for "no shows" at each room before moving their final scores into the tabulation room.
- The tabulation room will remain closed for the event.
To the extent the schedule allows, students who need special consideration for their scheduled audition time can be scheduled at the beginning or end of the auditions.
Directors must note all such requests when entering students online.
This should be used extremely sparingly.
Personal preferences for directors or students cannot be accommodated and should not be entered.
Director Participation in the Audition Process
- Communicate audition time and location with students
- Participate in judge's meeting starting at 7:30 AM the day of the auditions
- Help in the audition process as needed (judging, tabulating, preparing music packets, etc.).
- There is a $100 penalty for any school that does not provide a qualified adjudicator or assistant. Any exceptions to this rule must be appealed to the SCKMEA president.
The roster of selected students will be posted on the SCKMEA website no earlier than the Monday following the day of auditions.
This year's clinic will be held at Wichita East High School on Saturday, December 7.
Teachers will receive music to deliver to their students following the posting of results. String teachers will want to make sure to attend the 10:00 AM Mini-Convention meeting.
Rachel Dirks (see Clinician tab for more info)
Brahms - Hungarian Dance #6
Bryant - Dusk
John Williams, Arr. Lavender - A Tribute to John Williams
Have a great year, and please let me know if you have any questions!