High School Orchestra
2020-21 SCKMEA Honor Group Waiver of Enrollment Requirement
For the 2020-2021 school year only, a student may audition (or be nominated) for an SCKMEA honor ensemble
even if the student is unable to participate in their school's music program due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19.
Any student in such a situation must work with their school's music teacher(s) to complete the necessary SCKMEA forms and procedures.
By submitting a student's audition or nomination, a teacher verifies that the student is or has previously been a member of their school's music program in good standing.
2020-21 SCKMEA High School Honor Groups to use Recorded Auditions
SCKMEA will use online recorded auditions for all high school honor groups for the 2020-21 school year.
Additional information, including audition materials for each ensemble, will be further specified as chairs complete their plans.
Welcome SCKMEA Orchestra Directors!
By clicking on the links within this letter or on the left-hand tabs, you will have access to the information you need for the
2020 South Central Kansas Music Educators Association District Honor Orchestra.
When: Saturday, November 7, 2020
Times: 8:00 AM - all auditions have been heard
Open to: Grades 9-12 orchestra students
Students may not audition for orchestra and choir. Please make sure to communicate with your teachers for which ensemble you will audition.
||$8.00 per entry
||$33.00 per entry
||Late Deadline #1
||$58.00 per entry
||Late Deadline #2
||$100.00 per entry
||Late Deadline #3 (On-Site Fee)
All entries must be submitted online. Registration will be hosted inside the KMEA Members site (linked at the top of this page.
Use the SCKMEA Invoice Generator
to create your invoice print-outs.
Audition materials are available on the SCKMEA website and are an abbreviated version of the KMEA All-State Audition Materials.
SCKMEA Orchestra Audition Materials (2020)
KMEA State Orchestra Audition excerpts
Audition Time Requests
- Students will be assigned audition times prior to the audition day. Each teacher is responsible for giving these times to their students.
- Each student needs to check in with the door monitor at his or her assigned room 10 minutes prior to the assigned audition time.
- Audition numbers will be assigned at the door and must not be traded.
- Each student will audition in 2 rooms: Room 1-excerpts, Room 2-prepared scale and sight-reading.
- The door monitor will communicate students' audition number with judges. All auditions will be blind-meaning students will not talk with judges.
- The judges will wait an appropriate amount of time for "no shows" at each room before moving their final scores into the tabulation room.
- The tabulation room will remain closed for the event.
To the extent the schedule allows, students who need special consideration for their scheduled audition time can be scheduled at the beginning or end of the auditions.
Directors must note all such requests when entering students online.
This should be used extremely sparingly.
Personal preferences for directors or students cannot be accommodated and should not be entered.
Director Participation in the Audition Process
- Communicate audition time and location with students
- Participate in judge's meeting starting at 7:30 AM the day of the auditions
- Help in the audition process as needed (judging, tabulating, preparing music packets, etc.).
- There is a $100 penalty for any school that does not provide a qualified adjudicator or assistant. Any exceptions to this rule must be appealed to the SCKMEA president.
The roster of selected students will be posted on the SCKMEA website no earlier than the Monday following the day of auditions.
Teachers will receive music to deliver to their students following the posting of results. String teachers will want to make sure to attend the 10:00 AM Mini-Convention meeting.
Alison Mayes - Denver, CO