Wind & Percussion Audition Excerpts
2023-24Participation Eligibility Requirements
For a student to be eligible to audition for the SCKMEA Festival Band and Orchestra Winds/Percussion membership:
- The student's director must submit an online audition form and a printed form with payment to the SCKMEA Executive Director for each student auditioning. This form must be submitted by the AUDITION FORM DEADLINE established by SCKMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school. The student must be enrolled in the instrumental ensemble at their high school to be eligible to audition for the SCKMEA Honor Bands/Orchestra at the time of auditions and the performance.
SCKMEA will use the KMEA All-State Winds and Percussion Audition Excerpts. Students will perform:
- A one-octave major scale using the starting note shown on theKMEA Scale Sheet. Major scales will be announced on the day of the live audition. Each scale is non-transposed (i.e., if a trumpet player is asked to perform a C scale, they will be expected to perform a C scale on their instrument, not a C concert scale.)
- A full-range chromatic scale slurred up and tongued down, as shown on the KMEA Scale Sheet. Quarter Note MM= 60. Memorization is not required.
- Sections of the required etudes/solos.
Errata can be found on the KMEA All-State Winds and Percussion Audition Excerpts page. SCKMEA will observe all changes indicated on that page for district auditions.
Excerpt reductions for SCKMEA Wind and Percussion auditions will be posted by September 1, 2023.
Students auditioning on percussion instruments must audition in at least two of three areas (mallet, snare, timpani). Percussion auditions will include the excerpts indicated and sight reading.